Home remedies to Increase Breast Milk Production. Boost Your Milk Supply Naturally.
Oats work as nerve tonic; they stimulate one's nerves. They also assure the optimal production of breast milk. Oats increase perspiration and also act as an anti spasmodic and anti depressant. Iron deficiency being one of the primary reason for lesser production of breast milk, it can be offset by consuming oats which are rich in iron.
The best time to eat oats during breakfast. You can consume a bowl of oatmeal along with milk every day.
2. Fenugreek (methi)
Fenugreek stimulates the glands that produce milk as they contain phytoestrogens which increase the production of breast milk. Mammary glands are nothing but modified sweat glands. It is a common belief that fenugreek stimulates sweat glands.
1. Take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds.
2. Soak this in a cup of water. Let it remain soaked overnight.
3. The next morning, boil the water along with the seeds for some time and then strain it.
4. You should drink this every day in the morning to get good results.
5. Instead of this, you can also eat three capsules of fenugreek thrice a day. This should be done for the first ten days. For the next ten days, reduce it to two capsules thrice a day and then for the next ten days, it should be one capsule thrice a day.
Caution: Women who suffer from asthma or diabetes should avoid these fenugreek related remedies.
3. Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds are galactogogues which stimulates breast milk production. They also help digestion and aid to prevent colic pain in babies.
1. Take one tablespoon of fennel seeds
2. Soak then in a cup of hot water for 30 minutes.
3. Now, strain the water.
4. This should be consumed twice a day for t least a month.
1. Take half cup of fennel seeds.
2. Half cup of cumin seeds and half cup of misri (rock candy).
3. Mix all them in bowl and grind it into fine powder.
4. This mixture should be added to a cup of milk and consumed thrice a day for one-two weeks.
5. You can also add fennel seeds to regular cooking.
4. Cumin seeds
Apart from stimulating the production of mother's milk, cumin seeds are also said to relieve constipation and improve digestion. It is also effective against bloating and even acidity. Cumin seeds are rich in iron which gives strength to the mothers after delivery.
1. Take a teaspoon each of cumin powder and sugar. Mix these two well. Add this mixture to a glass of warm milk.
2. You should consume this every day for a few weeks before retiring to bed.
1. Take two teaspoons of cumin seeds and 1/2 cup of water. Add the seeds to the water and boil.
2. Strain this well.
3. Take a teaspoon of honey and 1/2 cup of milk. Add the strained water and honey to the milk and mix well. This should be consumed once a day for many weeks
5. Black sesame seeds (til)
One should consume two - three spoons of sesame seeds every day in order to increase lactation. These seeds are great sources of calcium and also contain several other nutrients such as copper. Black sesame seeds ladoos can be consumed. Otherwise, these seeds can be used in regular foods such as khichri, poori, lentils and biryani. Some commonly use white sesame seeds also in revdi and gajak.
6. Carom seeds (ajwain)
A carom seed aid digestion and cleanses the stomach. Ajwain can be included in regular cooking such as raitas, vegetables, paranthas and even pooris.
1. Roast small cup of carom or fennel seeds for 3-4 minutes on pan
2. Crush them or grind them to make fine powder of it.
3. Add 1 teaspoon powder in cup of warm milk or water, mix well and drink it once or twice a day.
4. This mixture increases the lactation and improves digestion.
In Ayurveda, cinnamons are believed to boost breast milk secretion. Eating cinnamon during the period of nursing is said to improve breast milk flavor and several babies seem to like it. Cinnamons can also delay menstruation after delivery thereby preventing early conception.
1. Take 1/2 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Mix these two ingredients well.
2. Add the mixture to one cup of warm milk and consume this every day for 1 - 2 months in the night before sleeping.
Holy basil is used to aid increase in mother's milk in Ayurvedic practices. These herbs are said to soothe the nerves of feeding mothers and also boost the flow of milk. Basil is rich in niacin, carotene, iron and thiamine. They also keep both the baby as well as the mother healthy and free from several diseases.
1. Take a cup of water. Add finely chopped basil leaves (6-8 pieces) in a pan and pour this water.
2. Bring it to boil (let it boil for a minute or two)
3. Simmer the flame and let it remain for five full minutes.
4. Remove the pan and strain the liquid.
5. You can add some honey to taste.
6. This should be consumed twice a day for few months after delivery.
Garlic is a galactagogue which boost lactation. Mothers who consume garlic have been able to feed for a longer period and the flavor of the milk is usually liked by the babies.
1. Take three cloves of garlic. Grate them finely.
2. Boil a cup of water and add the garlic to it. Let it boil until the water amount reduces to one fourth.
3. Take one cup of milk and add it to the boiling mixture. Boil this mixture again.
4. Remove this from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon of honey. Strain the mixture.
5. This should be consumed every day in the morning throughout the breast feeding period.
10. Carrot and Beetroot
Carrots and beetroots are rich in beta carotene which naturally increases breast milk supply. They also contain several nutrients and minerals that a mother needs. Beta carotene is also responsible for overall growth of just born babies.
1. Take carrots and beetroots (two each). Make it into a fresh juice in a juicer. You can add honey or salt to taste. This should be consumed twice a day for many weeks.
2. Carrots and beetroots can also be consumed in the form of soups or salads to boost breast milk production.