5 BEST, EASIEST AND FAST NATURAL HOME REMEDIES FOR BAD BREATH/ HALITOSIS
Bad breath is also known as halitosis. Maintaining good oral health is very necessary to control bad breath/ halitosis. Bad breath/ halitosis is generally related to poor oral hygiene and/or bacteria and/or poor digestion.
Poor oral hygiene
Bacterial activity in mouth
Some medical conditions
Odorous food consumption
Consuming onion, garlic etc.
These are the common causes but, the main cause of bad breath/ halitosis is the bacteria that build up on the back of our tongue and between the teeth. In several cases, an abnormal breath odor may be a symptom of disease, such as diabetes, tonsillitis, herpes infection of the mouth, postnasal drip, sinusitis, kidney or liver failure, dental infection, lung abscess, strep throat etc.
More important tips
1. Drink adequate water regularly, as water is very essential to keep our breath fresh and clean.
2. After eating each meal and snacks, swish water around the mouth for 5-10 seconds. This technique loosens food particles trapped between our teeth and cleans our mouth properly.
3. Rinse your mouth properly, use good toothbrush and toothpaste, and be faithful in brushing and flossing.
4. Gargle your mouth with water before and after every meal.
5. Brush your teeth after every meal, as the pieces of food we chew may get stuck on teeth.
6. Avoid cheese, if possible, because cheese forms a layer on the teeth, tongue and makes the breath stinky.
7. Try to eat your meal on time, do not skip it for long time because when we do not eat for a long time, our mouth will get dry and this cause bacteria build up in our mouth, especially on tongue.
8. Avoid smoking, tobacco and alcohol; also avoid food stuff like garlic, onion, cheese etc.
9. Brush your teeth properly at least 2 times a day, clean your tongue with the help of steel spoon and floss once a day.
10. Chew your food properly and drink maximum glass of water during the meal for easy digestion. Do not drink more than 1 glass; you may drink plenty of water 60-70 minutes after meal.
11. Eat apple or guava every day, especially after meal, as this fruit clears and removes the food particles stuck between the teeth and thus it prevents bacteria build up in our mouth. Eat banana after each meal for fast digestion.
Try following simple and sure shot home remedies for bad breath/ halitosis and eliminate bad breath/ halitosis in seconds.
Here are the best 5 natural home remedies for bad breath/halitosis.
Lemon is traditional home remedy to cure bad breath. Lemon contains high acidic properties which prevents growth of bacteria on our tongue and gums, these bacteria causes bad breath.
1. Add 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in glass of water and rinse your mouth and clean your tongue thoroughly for few minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day or before going to bed.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with ½ teaspoon of baking soda, mix them well, also add 1 tablespoon of honey in it. Brush your teeth with this mixture for 1 minute. Do this once a day or 4 times in a week.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of honey in glass of warm or normal water and rinse your mouth, tongue with this mixture, also gargle with this water.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1-2 tablespoon of lemon juice in glass of water, mix them well. Use this mixture to gargle and clean your mouth and tongue.
Lemon help to clean your mouth and tongue, it removes bacteria from your mouth and tongue. Honey keeps your mouth moisturized and it also kills bacteria.
Spices like fennel, cardamoms, cloves, dill, anise seeds etc contains antimicrobial properties which eliminates bad breath by cleaning your mouth, teeth and tongue in natural way. This spice also increases saliva production in our mouth. It also develops our digestion system and its functions.
1. Chew 1 tablespoon of raw or roasted fennel seeds after every meal to freshen your breath and to digest your meal quickly.
2. You can chew 2-3 cardamoms or 1-2 cloves immediately after each and every meal to get rid of bad breath.
Cinnamon has strong anti bacterial properties and it is an effective antiseptic. Cinnamon contains an essential oil called cinnamic aldehyde, which eliminate bad breath and reduces the bacteria on tongue, teeth and saliva. Follow given home remedies to get rid of bad breath.
1. Chew or suck small stick of cinnamon for 5 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day, especially after meal and before going to bed.
2. Boil 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder in cup of water, when boiled, add 1 teaspoon of honey in it. When the mixture is lukewarm, use it as a mouthwash, rinse your mouth and gargle with this water to refresh your bad breath. Do this 2-3 times a day.
4. Baking soda
Baking soda is perfect solution for prevention of bad breath. It prevents bacteria from building up on our tongue and teeth and also reduces the acidity in our mouth which causes bad breath. It kills bad breath causing bacteria on teeth and tongue.
1. Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda and add ½ teaspoon of salt in it. Mix them well and make a fine paste like toothpaste by adding enough water to it. Brush your teeth with this baking soda paste and apply some on your tongue to clean it.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 2 cup of warm water, swish this mixture around mouth and gargle. You may add 5 drops of hydrogen peroxide in this mixture.
Baking soda helps clean teeth and tongue properly.
5. Apple cider vinegar
Indigestion is another principal cause of bad breath. Acidity results in bad breath, so to get rid of bad breath, first clean your stomach and improve your digestion functions. Apple cider vinegar contains strong acidic properties which make it the best solution on indigestion, acidity and it also removes bacteria build up on teeth and tongue which cause bad breath.
1. Before meal - Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in cup of warm water, drink this mixture 30 minutes before your lunch and dinner. This will eliminate the acidity and toxins from your body.
2. After meal – Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in cup of warm water, also add 1 teaspoon of honey in it, drink this mixture 5-10 minutes after every heavy meal. Consuming apple cider vinegar after meal helps easy and quick digestion, and prevents gas formation in the stomach.
3. Use apple cider vinegar as mouthwash. Mix 1 ½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 2 cup of warm water and rinse your mouth and gargle with this water to refresh your bad breath. Do this 2-3 times a day.